Drug & DWI Court
The state of Missouri enacted the Drug & DWI Treatment Court as a means to hold offenders accountable while giving them the help they need to understand and learn how to deal with their issues. Can its programs be completed in lieu of jail time? Just trying to dig for the answer to the reader’s inevitable question: How does this info benefit my situation/my case?
The St. Louis County Adult Drug Court is voluntarily and is only for first time, non-violent offenders with substance abuse problems. The program consists of assessments, treatment, and aftercare of the offended based on their individual needs. Requirements in the program include:
- Taking accountability for your actions
- Reporting to the judge in court on a regular basis
- Paying court and program fees regularly
- Participating in substance abuse treatment
- Participating in regular drug testing
- Participating in mandatory community service
- Participating with other community resources as required
- Making regular home visits
To determine if DWI court is the best thing for you, you should consult with an experienced DWI attorney. With expert advice, you will be able to make the most informed decisions moving forward with your case and, if applicable, your recovery.
Possible DWI Penalties in Missouri
Missouri has strict laws governing DWI charges and their penalties. These penalties are based on the situation and circumstances of each individual case and depend largely on prior offenses. For example:
- First-time offenders may receive up to 6 months of jail time and a $1,000 fine
- Second-time offenders may receive up to 1 year of jail time and a $2,000 fine
- Third-time offenders may receive up to 4 years of jail time and a $10,000 fine
Each of these has different periods of possible license suspension from 30-60 days up to 10 years.
Even if you have prior offenses, the judge should hear your side of the story including the circumstances surrounding your arrests before making a final judgment. For this to be done, you need a DWI defense lawyer to present your case in court.
With your best interests in mind, I will always advocate for your individual needs. Call my office today and schedule a time to meet with me so we can discuss the details of your DWI and get started on your defense.